About Dr Ahmad
Dr Ahmad Hasanien loves working as a GP because there’s opportunity for genuine, ongoing connection with patients in a varied and interesting medical role.
Like many young boys, he originally wanted to be a soccer player. Like many fathers, his dad didn’t think that was a good career choice! Ahmad ended up following the family tradition and studying medicine. Though he admits he hated it at first, he grew to love being a doctor, especially when he found his niche in general practice.
Ahmad had enjoyed the thrill of working in emergency medicine but never knew how people fared in the long run. He’d found intensive care fascinating but missed interacting with patients as they were usually unconscious. And he loved obstetrics but it was always the same type of work — though delivering his own child was an incredible way to become a first-time dad!
Ahmad loves the variety he encounters in general practice. Each patient is different, many cases are complex, and each person’s circumstances are unique. Ahmad takes the time to get to know his patients and shares things from his own life too, aiming to help them shift their thinking and develop a healthier lifestyle. He takes his own advice too, usually rising at 4.30am to complete an intense workout before he gets to the clinic.
Ahmad has post-graduate qualifications in child health, obstetrics and cosmetic skincare but his strongest interest is in skin cancer prevention and treatment. It’s one of the reasons he chose to work at Elm Rd. He felt he had something extra to offer to patients in need here as the outdoor lifestyle enjoyed by many in the stunning Northern Beaches means locals are at extremely high risk of developing skin cancer.
Honesty is the quality Ahmad most admires. Some of his heroes are the great outspoken truth-tellers like Malcolm X and other men and women who dare to speak up for people without a voice. Dr Ahmad aspires to emulate his heroes in his practice, and always act with honesty and integrity.
When his two kids are old enough to accompany him, Ahmad would love to volunteer for Doctors Without Borders. He wants his kids to see the dire situations many people live in and to be motivated to help.
When he’s not working, Ahmad loves to scuba dive. For the most amazing mix of ocean life and the rare opportunity to see both soft and hard unbleached corals, he recommends the coast of Mexico and the Red Sea in Egypt.
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, University of Cairo
- Basic and Advanced Diplomas in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
- Basic and Advanced Clinical Certificate in Skin Cancer Medicine and Surgery, Skin Cancer College of Australia
- Basic and Advanced Clinical Certificate in Dermoscopy, Skin Cancer College of Australia
- Basic & Advanced Diplomas in Cosmetic Medicine at the Academy of Cosmetic Medicine and Science
- Diploma in Child Health, University of Sydney
- Family medicine
- Skin cancer checks and procedures
- Women's health
- Contraceptive procedures including Mirena and Implanon
- Antenatal Shared Care
- Therapeutic & cosmetic injectables
- Men's Health
- Ingrown Toenail Removal