General Practitioners, Elm Rd.
Elm Rd’s GPs seek to maximise your wellbeing and alleviate the distress caused by ill-health. GPs are the first point of contact with the health system for many people. Your GP helps prevent disease by offering check-ups, vaccinations and health advice, and treats a range of diseases from short-term infections to lifelong conditions. They also help you navigate the health system, referring you to a specialist if you need more complex care.
General practice is a medical specialty that requires broad knowledge across many aspects of health. It takes 10-15 years of training to practise independently as a GP.
Whereas some other doctors specialise in one aspect of your body, your GP is trained to look at the whole picture. A GP is a bit like a detective, able to work out if a certain symptom represents a short-term illness or the start of a more significant issue. GPs help you navigate the health system, referring you to the right specialist if you need more complex care.
A GP’s day is incredibly varied. Each patient is different. Even when they have the same illness, they might be handling it quite differently, depending on their age, life experience, social support and general health.
At Elm Rd, we want to make sure you can access high quality medical care that’s personal and unhurried. Our GPs take time with each patient to understand your needs and provide the appropriate care. Australians see their GP more than any other health professional. We look forward to getting to know you and walking with you over the years to come.
Most GPs offer the following services:
- Family medicine
- Diagnosis and treatment
- Ordering blood tests, X-rays, ultrasounds or other tests to diagnose illnesses
- Preventive care
- Information and advice
- Advice on smoking, nutrition, alcohol and physical activity (SNAP)
- Prescribing medicines
- Management of chronic conditions like asthma or type 2 diabetes
- Early intervention
- Screening tests
- Work or driving-related medicals
- Development of Chronic Diseases Management plans to allow you to access Medicare rebates for other practitioners like dieticians or physiotherapists
- Development of Mental Health Care Plans to enable you to access Medicare rebates for psychologists
- Referrals to specialist doctors or allied health professionals when needed
- Providing services needed for insurance claims such as Workers Compensation, motor accident insurance (TAC)
- Providing services to veterans through the Department of Veterans’ Affairs.
Join Our Team
If you’re a GP who shares our vision for better healthcare embedded in the local community, then please contact us.
We can’t wait to hear from you.